Thursday 3 July 2008

'The pleasure of life grows'

Film-maker David Lynch hasn't missed a day of meditation in 34 years. He explains how one experience changed his quality of life forever.
When I first heard about meditation, I had zero interest in it. I wasn't even curious. It sounded like a waste of time.

What got me interested, though, was the phrase "true happiness lies within". At first, I thought it sounded kind of mean because it doesn't tell you where the "within" is, or how to get there. But, still, it had a ring of truth. And I began to think that maybe meditation was a way to go within.

I looked into meditation, asked some questions, and started contemplating different forms. During my research, my sister called and said she had been doing Transcendental Meditation for six months. There was something in her voice. A change. A quality of happiness. And I thought: "That's what I want."

Click here for the full Guardian article

No comments: